We hope for positive results wherever anti-shark-finning movements are held, and ours will be non-confrontational. San Francisco’s Chinatown is a unique and complex community. Marching and shouting will have little or no effect in this community. It would be perceived as nothing more than a mere nuisance and ignored.
The San Francisco protest will involve strategic placement of small groups of protesters at specifically targeted locations. We will have as many groups as possible spread out to these various locations to maximize the possibility of accomplishing our goal for this event.
Our goal is to educate the public about the health hazards involved and the devastating effects that Shark Fin Soup consumption is having on the environment. We will attempt to convince people to not order or make shark fin soup. We will also try to persuade restaurants to stop offering shark fin soup to their patrons.
We will do this by having our small groups stand in front of the targeted locations holding signs with that message. We will be handing out informational leaflets (written in English and Chinese) detailing the issues connected to shark fin soup consumption. We will use courtesy and respect to convey our message.
We understand that many shark advocates are very passionate about their beliefs. We want to invite the Chinatown community to understand and share our passion and receive our message clearly.
Code of Conduct for Participants in the
SF Chinatown Shark Fin Soup Protest Demonstration
- All participants will conduct themselves in a peaceful and respectful manner.
- Participants shall not make any racial or derogatory remarks towards any person.
- Participants shall not enter any establishment that is being boycotted or picketed.
- Participants shall not block any persons from entering or exiting any building or structure.
- Participants shall not purposely disrupt vehicle or pedestrian traffic.
- NO violence of any kind will be tolerated.
Participants will be required to check in at Portsmouth Square before joining the demonstration.
See you there!